Driving is considered as a privilege, which unfortunately most drivers take for granted. Given that having a driver’s license gives you a level of freedom that you otherwise would not have, but it also comes with certain responsibilities as well. If you have taken the Texas approved adult driver ed course, you probably know what I am talking about, but just in case you forgot, here are the different forms of responsibility that you have to abide by while driving your car.
- Always wear your seat belt and be a defensive driver. Wearing seat belts can increase your chance of survival in an accident. If your passengers are children, place them in car safety seats, which have been installed correctly.
- If you are tired or feeling drowsy, it will be a good idea to avoid getting behind the wheel of your car, fatigue and drowsiness is at the top of the list when it comes to the reasons why people meet with car accidents every year.
- If you have had a few pegs and are feeling a bit woozy, stay away from the driver’s seat, it’s much better to let the person you are with drive you home or just take the cab. DUI driving is responsible for nearly one hundred thousand road accidents every year and you don’t want to be one of them.
- Maintaining your vehicle the whole year around is also something that is often not considered by car owners, which leads to accidents on the road which could be avoided, like break failures etc. To stay safe just make sure that the tires, breaks, headlights, turn signals and tail lights are all in good working order and that your vehicle is in good overall working condition.
- Needless to say, driving is hard as it is, and the last thing a person should be doing is talking on the phone while they drive. If you really have to take a phone call while you are driving on the road, just pull over to the side, where you will be safe. The risk of accidents on the road increases nearly one hundred percent for people who answer their cell phone while driving.
- Obeying the law is important to staying safe, especially while driving on the road. To make sure you and your passengers stay safe, it is good to always make sure that you are driving under the required speed limit and are maintaining a safe driving distance from the drivers ahead of you. This is extremely important, especially while driving in low visibility, such as, after sunset or in bad weather conditions.
- Another way of keeping yourself safe while driving is to always be aware of your surroundings. Stay aware of the drivers that are around you and the ones that are approaching by viewing the rear-view and side mirrors. Always be on the lookout for drivers who seem to be driving their vehicles aggressively. Pull off the road if that means keeping yourself away from road rage.
- Another tricky part of driving are the intersections, at least thirty percent of all road accidents in the state of Texas happens on intersections, so always be alert when approaching an intersection.
This might sound a bit gloomy, but whenever you drive, you should hope for the best but prepare for the worst. Before you hit the road, prepare for emergency situations. Take a cell phone and charger with you so you can easily call help if need be. It will also be a good idea to have an emergency safety kit in your vehicle at all times.